Wednesday 10 December 2008

Queer As Folk

Really should be writing my Hardy essay now considering it's 23:17 but I'm not. Instead, I am pondering something I vowed never to ponder. Queer As Folk USA box-set or terrible quality downloads?

The question is, of course, not the format but the principle. I mean, I have slated QAFUSA in many a rant about it's complete disregard for it's source material, excess sex scenes and stylised nature. QAF is an amazing document of love between a man and a sex addict who does not fancy the man. And for so long that was the only story that made sense to me in this world. But now, from watched a few small clips I have realised something. This is not my world.

QAFUSA does have disregard for it's source material, because it is telling a different story. This story is one of finding love (with a schoolboy) rather than seeing a love that's always been there (in spite of a teenage boy).

And it does have sex scenes. But now, I am not so sure about excess. I mean, sure, they are pretty much every other scene. The difference is, you need that because this is a different journey. These characters are moving away from it, and you need to constantly see it to understand why they need to. In QAF, you love it, they love it: they fighting to stay not to find a way to leave.

Stylised is definitely a word that would not describe QAF and does describe QAFUK. But it needs to be: it's about love and sex and hot boys wearing no clothes and shiny surfaces and is taking a new story further than QAF could have. The beauty of QAF is it has a beginning and an end: QAFUSA has a beginning and a new end, one I am far more comfortable with than I was.

And the characters? I have reservations about Michael (the VInce scrape) because I do not think you can equate a comic book store to Doctor Who but... we'll see. But Justin is far more likeable than Nathan, and that shifts the dynamic of the show. You want Justin to win, not Michael. Especially when he's shacked up with his hubby. QAFUSA is about growing up, settling down; QAF is about never letting go, fighting til the end, getting your kicks out of shooting Texans. I am starting to see a possibility for a love for both.

What makes QAFUSA so great is what made QAF weak (although there is not much), it has longevity. These characters and their world could go on forever in a way that QAF's could not: their life was coming to an end and they were trying to hold onto it, whereas in QAFUSA they find new but equaly entertaining lifes. And the similarities are what makes QAFUSA so strong: good dynamics, family allusions, lingering eye contact, tastful camera work and great soundtrack.

So, my verdict? I will never be comfortable referring to QAFUSA as Queer As Folk: to me, they are entirely different shows. QAF is all about the unsaid, the unseen, the subtle and the nonchalant. QAFUSA is about the loud, the proud and the love. Stuart is a silent hero while Brian is an exhibitionist. Vince is a sweet but pathetic tag-along while Michael clearly finds a life outside of his. Nathan is a selfish naive know-it-all while Justin is a naive tender romantic. In the end, you take a framework of a good show and you can make an entirely new one. And that is what they've done. And while they could have made their own, without trying to be a part of my parade, the more I see of it the more I am happy it was made at all.

DVD box-set it is: although I can only get 1-3 on Region 2. No idea if they are ever coming out here. Going to start a petition, who's with me? Come on, it'll improve the Gay Update.

xXx

No comments: