Wednesday 11 August 2010

BEDA #10 - Stupid Headphones, PC World And Illness

I have that annoying kind of illness which is not so ill you can't do things (like BEDA) but enough that doing things (like BEDA) is painful, tiring and annoying. I had a long nap earlier, so deep it took a lot of shouting on the part of my dad to wake me up, which explains why this post is still only up after midnight.

After I left you last night, probably right after at 2am, I managed to damage my most prized possession: my MacBook. My stupid Apple headphones were on the fritz and a little bit broke off in the jack and so not only can I not use the jack but there's no sound because it thinks there are headphones in. And now the sound is like, frozen, but I don't know why. Basically, I wanted to cry.

I went online after Googling my issue and I felt less stupid knowing other people had been in similar situations. The advice differed between 'Take it to Apple if it's in warranty' to 'Use medical tweezers' to 'Put a bit of glue on the end of a cocktail stick and let it set'. In the end, I set up a Genius appointment, the earliest in London being on Thursday at the new store which I wanted to check out anyway.

Because I already had an irrational fear of all my music and photos and applications just disappearing, this was a good opportunity to buy an external hard drive so (bare in mind this was the middle of the night) I did literally ten minutesof research and ordered a '
Western Digital My Passport for Mac 500GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Charcoal' and picked it up in PC World.

PC World scares me. They have someone sitting on a throne by the door who stares at you to make sure you're not nicking any printer paper or something. I had to go to the one in Tottenham Court Road and it was deserted and still it took ten minutes to see I was standing at the 'Collect@Store' desk. I got my hard drive and was out in a flash.

I used Time Machine for the first time as well - I like it. It's simple and effective but I can't help panicking that despite it saying everything is fine that something will go wrong and I'll still lose everything. I think I'm just generally paranoid about data - it's why I like CDs, they are a lot harder to lose.

I wish I had something more to say about today. I've managed to conjure up something most days doing this but basically I've just been freaking out about my MacBook. I am expecting it to last for a bit longer. And by a bit I mean years. It's perfect for me - the right size, the right speed, not too complicated. So I'll be really depressed if it has to get sent off somewhere.

Anyway, goodbye until tomorrow. I'm going to turn on my slow and elderly PC to watch Luke and Noah (sorry, Reid) and listen to Nowhere Near News.

No comments: