Saturday 28 August 2010

BEDA #27 - Hot Day, American Restaurants And Trout Fishing In America

Greetings! I'm too tired for a long post because today was boiling hot. And it's only gonna get worse. It's the kind of sun that can give you a headache even when it's behind you. At least there's a lot of water around to breeze it up.

Before we got out I finished my book 'Trout Fishing In America'. It was definitely the most American book I have ever read. It was very strange but not alienatingly so, and the narrator had a genuine and unique voice. It was one of those books filled with ideas and strong images which will haunt me forever. I'm reluctant to recommend it though because I can see it's strange enough that most people would not like it.

So we started the day by booking a trip to Cape Cod; I am so excited to go! Then we went to the public gardens and got on a swan boat. It was powered by one poor college student pedalling but it didn't last very long. There was a boy in front of us telling inappropriate jokes very loudly. His dad tried to distract him by pointing out ducks and taking about a trillion photos of him.

Then we wandered around Beacon Hill, a very beautiful part of Boston. It was exactly what you want New England to look like. And I got to order a grilled cheese in a cafe - I felt so American! Then my mum bought a Red Sox Christmas decoration - and we're back to tourist. Then did a quick shuttle boat trip to get a look at the harbour, which displays a beautiful skyline.

Then we went to an American restaurant. And I mean really American. Like neon signs and dimly-lit bar with bottled beet and free re-fills if coke. It served Boston Beans and lobster rolls and cheeseburgers. The background music was stadium rock and the TV screens were showing the Red Six game (which I got quite hooked too) and high school American football. It was perfect: especially when the waitress gave us free clam chowder because we'd never had it.

Now it's OnDemand time. Until tomorrow fair readers, until tomorrow.

No comments: