Sunday 29 August 2010

BEDA #28 - Plymouth, America And Bobbleheads.

BEDA #29 - Plymouth, America And Bobbleheads

So I'm tired, again. Holidaying really takes it out of you. 

Today we went out to Plymouth, the place where the Mayflower landed. We got the train from South Station to Plymouth Station which turned out to be miles out of town. Like, properly far away. The old train sheds were falling down, the Walmart was shut up and everyone who got off the train got straight into a car. We hailed this local bus and went in a massive circle all around town. We passed through about eight outlet malls and everyone else who got on the bus knew the driver well enough to kiss his cheek as they got off.

It was weird. It reminds you that most of America is dead space between populated areas. Highways and out-of-town furniture stores and big yellow traffic lights. It looks exactly like you want it too as well; orange wasteland with scrubby green trees, bright blue sky and smoking black road. 

Finally we were in Plymouth town. They had this waterside festival on which was like Queens Park Day times one hundred. Most of the stalls were kid orientated but we did manage to pick up a Red Sox bobblehead. 

The bobblehead story is one of those family private jokes that I assume siblings share but, as an only child, I can only talk about with my parents. Basically my mum had a Yankee bobblehead that I broke as a child. About the only thing I ever broke so it became quite a big deal. So glad to have a replacement - and I carried it around all day like some weird form of punishment. 

So we went on the Mayflower II and a boat ride around the harbour and then back on the train. I fell asleep a little bit but I woke up in time for some good food. There were a lot of screeching women but otherwise a very nice place. 

I am going to fall into bed now - I've wacthed all the OnDemand episodes if 30 Rock so I know it's sleeptime. 
 

No comments: