Monday 2 August 2010

BEDA #2 - Shaken Up, Atheist and Ready To Sleep

Not really sure if it's a bit shameless to blog about this but considering what happened last night, I have nothing else to talk about.

Two friends of mine last night walking home from a party were mugged at gunpoint. Everyone is physically okay although I'm sure the phrase 'shaken up' is not enough to describe how they're feeling emotionally. Pretty aptly sums up how I am feeling though. I got a phone call from Charlotte's aunt about half an hour after they had left and there was a terrifying few seconds and then lots of adrenaline and worry.

I am just really glad they are okay. I suppose most people would thank God but last night pretty much confirmed to me that I am definitely an atheist. There were lots of things I wanted to do: cry, throw up, give them both a hug; but I didn't want to pray or thank anyone in particular even though I was incredibly thankful. Incredibly thankful.

Essentially last night was tiring. Obviously this story has very little do with me and much more to do with them. Going over for a half hour or so basically to give Charlotte a half-hour long hug and then my plan is to read all day and rest and try and shower off this feeling of... I don't know. I wouldn't say I'm afraid to walk home alone anymore but this is the first time anyone I've been really close to has experienced crime. And real crime, not TV crime, is a lot scarier and less glamourous than even the dark fantasies you have in your head.

Just so happy everyone is okay and hoping (but not praying) a quiet day will be enough to shake my shaken up state.

No comments: